There isn’t many Smile Direct Club Reviews that I could find so I wanted to share my experience with others thinking about trying SDC as an Invisalign alternative. I made sure to take many before and after photos throughout the process to share with you. Below you will find my review, what Smile Direct Club cost, answers to some questions you may have about how it all works and my before and after pictures. I’ll also include a link to the company website in case you want to give them a try!
My Honest Smile Direct Club Review
I was researching an Invisalign alternative for months before I came across any Smile Direct Club Reviews. I already had braces for 5 years when I was in high school. Of course I didn’t wear my retainer like I was supposed too… my teeth shifted over the past 10 years to the point where Iwas self conscious of my smile. I especially noticed my crowded teeth in photos! I just couldn’t afford to pay the high price of Invisalign.
I joined Smile Direct Club in October of 2016. I haven’t completed my treatment yet but plan to update this post once I do with my final results. As of now… I’m very happy with my decision to go with SDC. The process to get started was very simple & customer support is quick to respond to any questions. They even have chat support on their website to assist you immediately.
I couldn’t believe the cost difference which of course made me skeptical at first. After a little research I decided to give it a shot and I’m so happy I did! The simple fact that we don’t need to see an orthodontist to get approved sold me. They have they’re own orthodontists to handle your case. They also sent me an awesome whiting kit for free!
I’ll explain the details on the cost & how it all works…
Smile Direct Club Cost
So what does Smile Direct Club Cost? The first step is to get impressions done, they ship an impression kit to you for $99. If for whatever reasons they don’t find you to be a suitable candidate they will refund your $99. If you’re approved they will apply the $99 to the total cost of your invisible aligners.
I have yet to hear of a case where someones impressions were rejected because they were not a good fit. They’re mostly rejected because the impressions were not done correctly, in this case they will ship you another kit to try again. Make sure to read the instructions included with your kit so you do them right the first time.
Once your impressions are approved you have the option to pay in full for the discounted price of $1500 or pay $299 down and $99 per month until paid off in full equaling somewhere around $1800. Way cheaper then Invisalign… they quoted me close to $5k! I chose the payment plan, currently I have 4 payments of $99 left until paid off.
How Smile Direct Club Works
You will receive a plan once your impression are approved. They even have a 3D plan where you can see how your teeth will shift throughout the process. My plan was 16 sets of trays that I was instructed to wear 22 hours a day and to switch to a new set every two weeks. It took about 5 weeks for me to receive my first set of impressions in the mail, they sent me 4 sets of trays at a time. As of last month I have all 16 trays. I’m currently on tray 11 of 16 and scheduled to switch to tray 12 this week. I’ll write more Smile Direct Club Reviews as I progress with my treatment plan.
Once you complete your plan you should have straight teeth! From what I’ve seen the majority of customers are happy with their final results. If you feel that your teeth are not as perfect or straight as you would like then you simply contact customer support and send them some pictures. They will send you another impression kit for you to do and then send you refinement aligners to complete your plan and get the final results you’re looking for. Don’t worry… the refinements are free!
- When is the best time to switch trays?
- At night before you go to bed
- How bad do the trays hurt?
- I didn’t experience to much pain, just some pressure the first 2-3 days after putting a new set in. This is why I suggest switching to a new tray at night, you can take an over the counter pain reliever to help.
- Do the trays hurt your gums?
- They provide you with an emery board (nail file) in case you experience any gum pain so you can file the aligners down. They’re very strong and can be filed down a good amount. I’ve been lucky enough to not have to much gum pain. Only 2 sets I had to use the emery board on a little in some areas to avoid the aligners from pushing on my gums.
- Can you switch trays early?
- No, you need to give your teeth enough time to shift even if the trays become lose before it’s time to switch
- What can I drink while I’m wearing the trays?
- The company says only water… which is what you should probably follow. I’m bad.. I drink my coffee, tea, soda, etc with them in but make sure to swish water around when I’m done so that my drink doesn’t stay in the aligners and stain my teeth or cause cavities. Is this the right way? No… to each their own! I did find some Smile Direct Club reviews that said they drink other drinks aside from water as well with no issues.
- When should I expect to start seeing a difference?
- Every plan is different.. but for me it was tray 6.
- Can I get them made for just the top or just the bottom row of teeth?
- No… that’s what I wanted to do BUT I’m glad I didn’t. I never realized how crooked my top teeth were until I looked at my before and after photos.
- Do you get a retainer once your done with your plan?
- Yes, but it’s not included in the initial price from what I understand but it’s only $99 to get the retainer from what I’ve read.
- What should I use to clean my aligners?
- I use Retainer Brite Cleaning Tablets. Every morning when I take my aligners out and jump in the shower I pop one of these tablets in my aligner case with some warm water and let it sit. By the time I get out of the shower my aligners are nice and clean!
My Smile Direct Club Before & After
Below are side by side pictures of my progress so far:
Everyday I can feel a difference in the straightness of my teeth when I take my aligners out. I’m excited to see my end results, I’ll write a new blog post in a few weeks once I complete my treatment plan. I’m sure as the company becomes more popular you will see other Smile Direct Club Reviews out there.
If you like what you read and are ready to take the first steps in getting the perfect smile then click the link below to be brought to the company website to get started!